Linux Log-structured Filesystem Project
This project is on hold (probably forever). Luckily, someone else has
made a better attempt at a Linux LFS system. Check out
Christian Czezatke's LFS project.
Kees' Psuedo Logging Filesystem (the Linux LFS Project) is making it's way
into reality. I've started thinking about the code during class and while
sleeping, so eventually something will come to fruition.
I'm keeping notes on what I'm researching in
the Linux VFS Kernel, so I can possible write a filesystem-writing HOWTO for
the Linux Documentation Project.
Back to my homepage
Linux Documentation Project
Last modified: 06 May 1998
What IS a log-structured or journaling filesystem, anyway?
Where can I find an LFS project that isn't stalled?
- Papers (gzip'd PostScript files)
- "UNIX Internals" (1996, Prentice Hall) Uresh Vahalia
- "System Administration 2nd Edition" (1995, O'Reilly) Aeleen Frisch
- My Code
The KPL Plan
Status: see highlighted line in the Plan. We're always improving/breaking previously finished parts of the plan. The highlighted stuff is what's currenlty in the development stages.
- Learn about standard filesystems
- Learn about logging filesystems
- Learn about the Linux Kernel VFS
- Design the LFS
- Finish new Linux buffer-cache routines
- Finish superblock version checking routines
- Write support utility: "mklfs" to make the filesystem (basics done)
- Write mountable kernel fs module (started)
- Write support utility: "edlfs" to edit the filesystem
- Write read-only kernel fs module (super, inode, & dir functions)
- Write a read/write kernel fs module (super, inode, & directory functions)
- Write user-level segment cleaner utility: "cleanerd"
- Add file functions to fs module
- Add symlink functions to fs module
- Start beta-testing
- Add roll-forward code to read_super function in fs module
- Add "advanced" features like mmap, etc. to fs module
- Write support utility: "fsck.lfs" to repair truely damaged filesystems
- Add ext2-like extensibily
- Write "unrm" utility
- And beyond... defragmentation code? more utils?
Planned Completion Date: sometime in 1998 for orignal beta-test release of KPL
List Serve Maintainer: Sean McAdam
Documentation: Pete Deuel
Beta Testers: Fozzy Dressel,
Programmers: Kees Cook
WWW Page Maintainer: Kees Cook
List Serve: email@example.com
Web Page: http://outflux.net/projects/lfs